Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A scary first

I have always been really healthy. No broken bones, no stitches, never an er visit, that is until this weekend. Well, let me preface this, by saying since I have been in my early twenties I have have bouts of tachycardia, but I have always been able to get myself out of the rhythm in less than an hour, and it only happens a few times a year. In the past I have been to the cardiologist, but everything always checks back normal, and they never catch the tachycardia on an EKG, because it is so sporadic. I never had an episode while I was pregnant with Carter. Unfortunately during this pregnancy, I had an episode in December while Erica and I were in Austin. That time it took me quite a while to get out of it, and Erica was ready to take me to the hospital, but I finally got out of it. After that happened I swore I was going to go to the doctor and get it taken care of. Well, of course I put it off. Fast forward to this weekend. We were in Midland to go to Kris' grandpa's funeral. Everything was fine until Saturday afternoon. I was at Target with my sil, and all of the sudden, my heart started going crazy for no reason. I had to sit down in the middle of the aisle, because I felt like I might pass out. After I took a few minutes to gain my composure, I went to the car and had her finish up in Target. We got back to Kris' parent's house and I laid down. For some reason the beating was more intense than it's ever been, but I got myself out of it after about an hour. Then about an hour later I was just sitting on the couch, and it started back up! I went and laid down, trying everything to get it to stop, but it wouldn't let up. It continued all.night.long. Kris wanted me to go to the er, but I hated being away from home, and was just scared to go to the er. By morning I was exhausted. I hadn't slept all night, and my heart was still going crazy. Thankfully I felt Abby moving pretty much the whole time, so I knew she was okay. I just kept thinking it was going to work itself out. Finally after 15 hours, I gave in and we went to the er. I felt so awful and I coudln't handle it any more. I got there and my heart rate was 194 (which I felt like it was slower than when it first started, so there's no telling what is was). They rushed me into a room, hooked me up to all sorts of monitors, I got an EKG (good b/c I finally had proof of the condition), oxygen and an iv, and listened to Abby. She sounded perfect and they said this is the one time my hear rate will be faster than hers! The doctor came in and said I had svt, and that they were going to give me a shot to kick my heart back into the right rhythm. They put the shot into my iv, and it felt pretty freaky. Within seconds, I felt my heart stop for a minute, felt really weighed down, it was weird, and then my heart began to beat normally, praise the Lord! They checked Abby's heart rate again, and she was once again perfect. They kept me for a while to make sure my heart stayed in a normal rhythm, then we were sent home. We made the long tip back to Dallas, and I was so happy to be in my bed. I was SO tired! I took Monday off of school and felt like a new person by Monday afternoon. I called my ob/gyn on Monday, and she said that all of the won't affect the baby and referred me to a cardiologist that I got to Thursday. I am praying that he can figure out what is causing this, and hope to never have it happen again!
heart2
Abnormal EKG
heart
This shows what happened when I got the shot.

3 comments:

Cole's Corner said...

Oh my gosh Chelsi! How scary!
I'm so glad you two are okay now.
... whoa.

Erica said...

That had to be so scary! I didn't know it went on for that long! I'm so glad that you are going to see a cardiologist!

Cole said...

Wow. Get help sooner next time! That must've been terrible.