Thursday, July 10, 2008

So long Callie, we are going to miss you!


Yesterday a very sad thing happened to my family. Our beloved dog Callie died.
It was very unexpected as she had not been sick. She lived almost 14 years and was a very loyal and loved member of our family.
We got Callie when I was in high school. She was a Christmas surprise from my parents. I still remember the day that we got her. I had been watching Cody and Austin and they came home with a tiny puppy who had a cowlick in the back of her head. We decided to name her Callie. We were so excited to get her. She was such a loving dog. I am going to share some things about her.
-Callie was a traveler. We took her on all of our vacations. She has been swimming in oceans and rivers. She loved to sit up in the front seat with my mom. She would get excited when she would see us packing our bags. She would try to run into the car everytime we opened to door. All you had to say is "You want to go?" and her ears would perk up.
-Callie loved to sleep on the back of the couch cushions like a cat.
-She also loved tennis balls. She loves to chase them and chew them up.
-Calllie was so good with babies. She was SO patient while Carter pulled on her ears and patted her. She would sometimes growl, but she didn't mean it. She always worried about Carter and Colt. When Colt was a baby and he would cry she would sit by him and howl. When he was in his baby swing and it would stop she would use her nose to push it. When my mom had Colt in his swing outside in the backyard, it made her nervous (I guess because it was so high up) what she would jump and try to stop him. Callie also loved babies because she knew that they equaled food! You could always find her sitting under the highchair begging for food. And when dinnertime was over she would maneuver herself un into the highchair to get the crumbs. When Carter came around she was older so she couldn't jump into the highchair, but she was always sitting under it.
-Callie knew lots of tricks: high five, play dead, sit, lay, stay, shake, howl, speak.
-Callie know when my dad came home from work it was time to eat- she would go to her cage and hit the dorr of it until he would feed her.
-On the subject of food- Callie was the biggest pig. One time Austin left a loaf of bread on the fireplace (for some reason he was into eating bread) and she ate almost the whole loaf. She was so bloated and sick the next day!
-Callie was very affectionate. My mom wold say "Callie you want some loving?" and she would cuddle up and make a snorting sound.
-Lastly, Callie loved to sunbathe. Whether she was in the house finding the sunlight from the skylight or in the backyards, she loved the sun.

We are going to really miss Callie. I really hope that there are dogs in Heaven so I can see her again some day. I love you Cal-girl!
I have made a little montage of pictures I found of her her tonight.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I can't believe Callie is gone.: ( I will always remember the sweet little puppy that your mom brought into the commons that day, and all the occassions that your mom told me to wait to pet her so that she didn't pee on the floor because she was so excited. I really don't remember a time that your family didn't have Callie...14 years is a LONG time. I'm so sorry, I know how much she meant to you. Love-Erica

Erica said...

I love the video montage that you made of Callie! Thanks for including me...even though I needed some MAJOR hair help!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry Callie is gone, even I remember callie! I also remember like Erica said your mom always said she'll pee on you if you pet her when she is excited. She was always in the car when your mom would pick us up from school. She lived a long happy life and she loved you guys as much as you loved her! Now I have to go get the tissues because I'm crying after watching that video

Missy Rooney said...

So sorry about your families loss. I know how hard it is to loose a pet that you love so much! Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Missy